jeudi 31 janvier 2013

Lucidity, what's not in the BOM

Edit: after getting the components here, I'm not entirely happy with all of them. The jack are cheap (I'll choose Neutrik next time), and some wire connectors don't fit. Please check and double check before using those. I'll update this list soon

Ok, so I'm a real beginner when it comes to DIY audio. I can buy what I'm told to buy, but there are a few things that I don't think about, so here is a list of what I needed to order that was not in the BOM
Tools:
Those I had at least
Soldering iron (or soldering station)
Solder (I used good silver solder for the pres, and normal lead-free solder for the front panel and the PSU).
Things to bend and cut wires

Components:
it helps to have some ribbon cable in order to wire the pres and the front panel: Here it is
And some "plugs" for those cables: here and here, it's matching the 2x5P headers from the pres (Thanks i3j0rn from GroupDIY). Those are for the 3,96 x6 (power) & x3 (output)
I also bought this wire to connect the output signal. Talking about output signal, I decided to use 6,35mm jack as it takes less room on the backplate.

I nearly forgot the toroid transformer...


Alex from Innersonix advises to thermo-isolate the regulators (TO220) from the PSU with this kind of stuff.

I also needed a switch to turn the preamp on and off. I got this one.

Wire:
I obviously needed wires to connect everything. I already talked about the ribbon cable to control the pres.
I used some cables from an electric plug that I stripped bare. Using a drilling machine, I made this :

I obviously need a case and some front and back panel drilling. Don't know yet what to do, I'll probably go the modushop way.

2 commentaires:

  1. Thanks for documenting your progress! I'm still deciding on whether to build an Seven Circle Audio preamp or the Lucidity. I think I may start off with two channels and then build two more down the road.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks for the comment, Alex from Innersonix is really helpful and answers really fast. As I never tried the 7th circle products, I can't say anything about it soundwise. I think, you can't go wrong with any of them (well, I would still recommend Innersonix, just because the service is really good).
      I also start with 2, and will expand later on. Once the case is done, it should be really fast and easy to do.

      Supprimer