vendredi 4 janvier 2013

Apex 205 ribbon mic mod

Hi there,

a few words about my apex 205 mod. Sorry, no pictures as I modded the mic late at night without thinking about taking pictures/blogging.

The Apex 205 can be a great ribbon mic, but can be also terrible when not set up appropriately. It was my case as I had a really low output. So I started modding it.

Mechanical mods:

I unscrewed everything and took the mic apart. I always moved the mic slowly in a dust free room. Never blow on those mics!
I removed inner mesh layers of the mic headbasket. Just pulled hard with plyers.
I removed the ribbon protections. I just needed to unscrew a lot of little screws for that.
I retensionned the ribbon as it was sagging. The trick is to use alcohol to hold the ribbon while you give the right tension. It was quite tricky to find the right position but finally got it to work. Now I have a normal output.

TO DO: change the transformer

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire